Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pommes Frites

123 2nd Ave.

Several weeks went by before I managed to make my way to a tiny fry place dubbing itself with “authentic Belgian fries.” Pommes Frites in East Village was recommended to me by a friend who lives nearby. The tiny restaurant nestled between 7th Street & St. Mark’s Place on 2nd Avenue that literally sits around 8 is known for having some of the best fries in the city and allows customers to sample their many sauces for free. The wait the first time I tried to go (over a month ago as the temperature was dropping significantly) piqued my curiosity. It was 1am and the line was out the door, despite the freezing weather. I put Pommes Frites on my list and promised myself I would come back at a more appropriate time.

That time came this past Saturday in the morning. I hit the place up right when it was due to open at 11:30 on the weekend. The sign read “Closed.” I hiked the block and returned 10 minutes later. The sign now read “Open” and there was a line. I barely squeezed myself in the front door.

I waited in line watching new batches of cut potatoes frying while the people in front of me sampled and ordered one of the 30 sauces Pommes Frites features with their fries. The fries are served in a cone and come in three sizes: regular, large, and double. Sauces are $1.00 extra, or you can order a combo of any three sauces for $2.50. When my turn arrived, I asked for a sample of the Sundried Tomato Mayo and the Peanut Satay. The guy behind the fry bar handed me a napkin with four small fries on it and a small dollop of both sauces. The Peanut Satay was too oily for me. I ordered a regular order of fries with a combo of the following three sauces: Rosemary Garlic Mayo, Sweet Mango Chutney Mayo, and the Sundried Tomato Mayo. I asked for it to go, and they also give a side of raw onions and regular ketchup with every order.

The regular portion was huge; it took me two settings to finish it. The fries were a bit on the soggy side, but the sauces were very good. The Rosemary Garlic had the perfect combination of garlic and mayo; the Mango was very sweet and tasted almost like Thousand Island Salad Dressing, and the Sundried Tomato was also sweet with a slight kick at the end. I did not favor one sauce over the other as all were equally delicious. The complimentary raw onions were a nice touch as well.

For out-of-towners, if you are looking for an authentic New York experience, Pommes Frites has it. Belgium is known for its frites, so anyplace claiming to have “authentic Belgian fries” is a must go. Although I have had better fries, at another Belgium restaurant no less, the damage to my pocket book was much more appreciative of Pommes Frites. If you have some time to spare, go wait in line, and get your frite on.

DAMAGE ~ $7
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment