Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lombardi’s

32 Spring St
Yummy, yummy, yummy! A quest for the best pizza in the city is not complete without a visit to Lombardi’s. This was actually my second trip to the nation’s oldest pizza eatery (est. 1897) located in Nolita. I cannot say it took the prize for “best pizza in nyc,” but it definitely tied for third place.

TheStageManager (a friend from out of town) and I arrived on a Friday evening to a 15 minute wait. We took advantage of our spare time and immediately sat at the bar ordering a glass of wine each. About 10 minutes later, a table opened up on the other side of the restaurant. We were led down the dining area, through the kitchen, out the other side of the “U-shaped” restaurant and seated next to the brick wall on the right.

We ordered a medium size pizza with the following 5 toppings: red onions, olives, sliced tomatoes, red peppers, and ricotta cheese. Man oh man, was it delicious. I ate three of the six slices with my fork. I used to have a saying that you know you have good pizza when you have to eat it with a fork; that’s exactly what I had was good pizza.

The restaurant was big for Manhattan; people were not seated on top of each other as you find in many other pizza parlors. The medium size pizza was perfect for two people and the toppings were a delicious combo leaning on perfection. Although the pizza could have been a bit crispier, I enjoyed every minute of it.

The wait was not as bad as I expected; the server was friendly; and the prices were cheap. I cannot wait to go back.

DAMAGE ~ $40 (before tip) CASH ONLY
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment