Monday, January 5, 2009

Balthazar

80 Spring St.

Balthazar, Balthazar, Balthazar…
How I longed to whisper sweet nothings in your ear.
Instead, you have left me bitter…
No. Stop. I don’t want to hear.
I really thought we could be happy,
but you lied and abused me for your own personal gain.
You hurt my pride in more ways than one;
Don’t call me. You’ve caused enough pain.

As the aforementioned poem states, my visit to Balthazar did not go quite as expected. After struggling for weeks to get Brunch reservations at the trendy French bistro in SoHo, owned by the same folks that own Pastis, I finally managed to nab Sunday Brunch reservations at 11:00a.m. A dream come true…or so I thought…

We were seated immediately upon arrival, three minutes after 11. The place was packed and there was a line out the door of people waiting to see if anyone failed to show up for their reservation. I ordered my standard Café au Lait to start. The server asked if I would like it in a bowl or cup; I said bowl. My cup of coffee arrived in a huge bowl as shown below. Little did I know, this was only 1 of 2 things worth noting about the popular restaurant.

I then asked for a mimosa and was kindly informed they do not serve alcohol until after 12 in accordance with New York State Law. Given that I had worked so hard to get into the place, I let this slide. I ordered the Eggs Florentine, 2 eggs served with spinach and artichoke. Sir Fancy Pants ordered the Eggs Meurette, 2 poached eggs served in wine sauce topped with bacon and mushrooms. The server informed me the Eggs Florentine does not come with English Muffins. Incredulous as to how they could serve Eggs Florentine without muffins, I asked for them on the side, which I was charged an extra $3.00 for in addition to the $18.50 pricetag of the meal.

After he put our order in, another server brought us a bread basket containing 4 decent size pieces of white and wheat bread. Then it was time for our meal. The Eggs Florentine was topped with Béchamel sauce instead of the traditional Hollandaise sauce. The sauce turned out to be dry and bland; it consists of only milk, flour, and possibly butter. I heard no complaints from Sir Fancy Pants.

The second thing worth noting was the Apple Tart dessert we shared following the meal. It was very nice and cooked to perfection topped with Vanilla Bean ice cream. I also ordered a Hot Chocolate. After two sips, I asked the server to take it off the bill. It looked like hot chocolate, but tasted like brown liquid and steamed milk.

The atmosphere was nice and open with high ceilings, and the bathroom in the basement had its own attendant. The service was also very good. Unfortunately, a good Café au Lait, a delicious Apple Tart, and attentive servers does not justify going back for Balthazar's pricetag.

I’ve done Brunch at Pastis; I left feeling delighted, satisfied, and open to going back. I don’t know what the owners were thinking with Balthazar. I really do not get all the hype surrounding the place. At nearly $20 a portion, it is not worth it.

Perhaps the only good to come out of this much anticipated visit to Balthazar was it broke (i.e. scarred) me of ordering my staple Brunch entrée of Eggs Florentine.


DAMAGE ~ $55 (before tip)
VERDICT: PASS

2 comments:

  1. Does that verdict mean Pass as in it got a passing grade? or Pass as in don't go?

    ReplyDelete