Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blue Ribbon

97 Sullivan St
CanuckDJ raved about his favorite restaurant in Manhattan; a small SoHo spot called Blue Ribbon. He said it was his first visit to New York without a stop at the culinary treasure, primarily due to time constraints. The fancy eatery was on my “Go To” list anyway, but I could not wait any longer upon hearing this.

Late Saturday evening, I dragged Sir Fancy Pants and TheStageManager to Blue Ribbon. I put my name on the list and 30 minutes later, we were seated. To get started, TheStageManager ordered the Cheese Fondue, served with bread cubes, breadsticks, and sliced apples. I have no idea what cheese was used, but the presentation and taste were unlike anything I ever had.

For the main course, Sir Fancy Pants ordered braised lamb shank with red wine sauce; TheStageManager ordered steak with onions, mushrooms, green beans and fries; and I had the vegetable k-bob with pita bread and cous-cous salad. For dessert, my dinner companions both ordered the raspberry sorbet.

My vegetable k-bob was good, the cous-cous salad a nice touch to vegetables on a stick. TheStageManager mentioned his steak was about half the size of what he is accustomed to, but he was visiting from Texas, the land where they consume animals whole. No complaints from Sir Fancy Pants.

At $19.50, I ordered the cheapest item on the menu. Both Sir Fancy Pants and TheStageManager’s meals ran in the $30 to $35 range. Blue Ribbon is not the most vegetarian friendly, and the place felt pricey for what I had. Despite this, I would return for the right occasion (i.e., CanuckDJ insisting on Blue Ribbon during his next visit). The atmosphere was great and very intimate; the host was down-to-earth and accommodating; and the food was a feast for my eyes and buds, taste buds that is.


DAMAGE ~ $200
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment