Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bar 89

89 Mercer St.

Following Brunch one Sunday afternoon, I trekked over to Bar 89 in SoHo with Sir Fancy Pants. We were in the area and decided to stop in for a cocktail.

We sat at the bar; he ordered a Bloody Mary and I a Mimosa. There were 3 other people in the two story bar. The place was nicely decorated in a minimalistic modern design and each table contained a fresh purple tulip.

Bar 89 had over 20 different Vodkas on hand, including some I had never heard of like Pablo Picasso Vodka. It serves lunch and dinner and stays open until 1 a.m. during the week, 2 a.m. on weekends. It is the perfect place for after work cocktails, for a date, or a get together with friends. Drinks are average Manhattan prices ranging between $7.50-$14.00.

Do you want to know a secret? The real reason anyone ever goes to Bar 89 is for the BATHROOM! It is by far the neatest bathroom I have ever seen/used in my life. I heard of similar bathrooms on the Travel Channel and was super excited to experience it myself. Located on the second floor behind a wall are 4 unisex bathrooms with clear, glass doors. The moment you step inside, the bathroom door begins to fog up. A sign displays the word OCCUPIED in purple lettering across the now opaque glass. Each stall has its own sink, and when you step out you are greeted by full length glass mirrors and the bathroom door defogs itself immediately.

The entire experience, the bathroom and enjoying my Mimosa at the empty bar, was truly relaxing. I cannot wait to go back. Next time, I prefer to go when it’s later in the evening and busier so I can see how other people react as they trek upstairs to the bathroom.


DAMAGE ~ $15 (before tip)
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment