Friday, January 30, 2009

Death & Co.

433 E 6th St

When I suggested an East Village bar called Death & Company to TheStageManager, he envisioned a dark bar scene filled with Gothic New Yorkers. Little did he know…

Death & Co. is a small lounge open from 6-12 every evening and does not accept reservations. The unassuming exterior (no sign or windows) leads unawares to view it more as an abandoned warehouse than a swanky bar. Once inside, the place feels like a spacious lounge, with everything having a golden hue including the furniture.

The first night I attempted entrance with TheStageManager, we were denied. The second time I walked right up to the doorman, asked if he had a table for 3, and was directed to a small booth to the left of the door.
Death & Company does not have bartenders; it has mixologists. Mixologists consider the task of making cotails a form of art; each drink is made with precision and perfection. Several of the menu options allow you to choose your own liquor, which is what the three of us ordered. TheStageManager had the Electric Koolaid Acid Test with Tequila, featuring blackberries over crushed ice; TexasThespian ordered the Little Kingdom with Cognac, a small but strong concoction; and I ordered the Black Market Sling with Gin, another unusual but good mixture.

As much as I would love to divulge my thoughts about the drinks, I would never do them justice. You must go and experience it for yourself. I will say, physically, the drinks were beautiful. The Electric Koolaid Acid Test and the Black Market Swing did very well in the taste bud department; the Little Kingdom was way too strong for me, hence the very fitting name.

There is a secret to getting in, but I am not exactly sure what it is. I have a feeling it has something to do with being a New Yorker (i.e. tourists unwelcome), especially after hearing stories of people denied entrance only to learn later that the place was empty.

Death & Company is one of my top five favorite bars in Manhattan. I loved the feeling of being inside the beautiful windowless bar hidden from the world and the uncrowded aura of the space due to the fact it did not let people in unless there was a seat available. The drink menu was exceptional, and I loved the plug-in-your-liquor feature on the menu.

Negatives include the doorman, closing at midnight, and the booth we were made to sit in (it was right by the door so we felt a draft every time it opened).

DAMAGE ~ $45
VERDICT: GO NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment