Monday, March 30, 2009

Freemans

Freeman Alley (off Rivington b/w Bowery & Christie)

Dear New York,

Please keep surprising me with your hidden little gems.

Love,

NYCFOODIE17


Nestled at the end of Freeman Alley off Rivington is a cute American eatery called Freemans. The place is virtually hidden from public view. I discovered the restaurant while walking around the Lower East Side one morning and made it my primary objective to eat there immediately.

Saturday afternoon, my dream was realized as I arrived at Freemans 30 minutes before 4pm, the cutoff time for Brunch. The place was packed but I scored a table within 5 minutes.

I started off with a latte and an artichoke dip for an appetizer.

For my entrée, I ordered their version of Eggs Florentine, featuring eggs and spinach in a skillet topped with gruyere cheese, served with buttered sourdough bread. I ordered a side of cheesy grits and gave my sausage links (came with meal) to my dining companion; he ordered chip steak served with eggs on a baguette.

Everything from the latte, to the artichoke dip, to the butterscotch bananas foster with salted caramel ice cream for dessert (I couldn’t resist), was delish. My cup of sugar with splashes of expresso and steamed milk, I mean latte, was literally one of the best I have had in the city; so good, I nearly got one to go the following morning.

The gruyere cheese served with my main dish was a first for me. It had a pungent odor but meshed well with eggs and sourdough bread. However, I doubt I would order it again simply because the smell was a little much.

There is an intriguing cocktail menu worth checking out, possibly on a repeat visit when I need to impress out-of-towners with my knowledge of hidden eateries.

The restaurant specializes in “Rustic American Cuisine” and definitely has the same vibe; think part hunting lodge, part Connecticut home. There is taxidermy on the walls, slightly disturbing but not overwhelming as several other places in the city.

It is on the pricey side, but so are most places in Manhattan.


DAMAGE ~60
VERDICT: Go

1 comment:

  1. I love you're reviews - they're sooo funny!

    ReplyDelete