Sunday, March 15, 2009

White Rabbit

145 E. Houston St

Saturday night, I found myself at a Lower East Side lounge called White Rabbit. I arrived at 10:30 to a half empty venue that filled to standing room only within a couple hours.

WestSideSurfer and I had not seen each other for many months and scored a comfy seat away from the main bar to catch up as much as the evening would allow.

The lounge was your average Manhattan size bar with plush seating lining the wall. My favorite part was the music. The DJ played many old school beats that I rarely hear nowadays. Because I am completely out of the music scene, I appreciated the familiar jams and even caught myself dancing to a few.

On the back wall, a projector displayed old episodes from In Living Color, something I have never seen in a bar. There are three bathrooms, so the wait was never more than a few minutes. White Rabbit also serves food, though I did not notice anyone eating.

I cannot quite put my finger on it, but something was off about the evening. Perhaps it was my watered down gin cocktails, the old In Living Color episodes (I have never watched a full episode in my life nor do I want to), or maybe the crowd (possibly BTCer’s). Whatever it was, the place definitely did not feel like other Lower East establishments in the area.

The coolest thing about White Rabbit is the name. I doubt I will return save for a networking event or something similar.


DAMAGE ~ $8-11/ avg. per drink
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment