Saturday, March 21, 2009

R Bar

218 Bowery

Is it possible to be angry at a bar? Not the bartender, not the doorman, not any particular person, just the bar itself? That is exactly what happened with R Bar and I on Friday night.

I was invited to the Lower East Side lounge to celebrate a mutual friend’s birthday. What I intended to be a semi-enjoyable evening turned out to be anything but. My first encounter with animosity came from the mandatory $2 coat check. Others have said it; now I will shout it:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A COAT CHECK MANDATORY, MAKE SURE IT’S FREE!

I would rather be charged a $2 cover than have to pay a mandatory coat check fee. My initial reaction was to bolt. Unfortunately, because it was not my birthday, I stayed.

My second encounter with animosity came from the music. The DJ was awful, and I’m being nice. I cringe at the thought of the music as I type these words. He/she would play a good song, followed by three bad ones. There are poles but it doesn’t matter because the music kills any desire to dance. I’m usually pretty open when it comes to club music, but I actually found myself pissed off at the DJ. That has NEVER happened before.

The biggest deal breaker came from the crowd. I have not felt so much like a sardine since Thursday nights at Stingers during my university days. To get a picture of how packed it was, imagine Rockefeller Plaza 2 weeks before Christmas. Now replace the tourists with college students…

Highlights for the evening include the awesome wall décor (old rock star icons in black & white); the bartender recalling my current choice cocktail by heart (gin & tonic); and a couple interesting people I met throughout the evening, including the friendly bouncer who watched over our party of drunk and the random people who danced with me on my way out the door.

There are too many other great places in the area. Hold onto your coat and save your money on this one.


DAMAGE ~ $8-11/ avg. per drink
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment