Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sueños

311 W 17th St
My first outing with my new foodie friends found me in Chelsea at a Mexican spot called Sueños. Run by executive chef Sue Torres, the restaurant features great food, cute décor, and attentive service but lacked two slightly important factors.

I tried to convince myself our group of eight would not receive preferential treatment, although I knew the deal. My feelings began with the complimentary arrival of cornbread and their house refried bean dip. Mashed refried black beans topped with tomatillo sauce and cilantro made for a delicious starter while we scoured the menu for options.

The majority of us stuck with the $30 pre-fixe menu, served nightly before 7pm. As the only vegetarian at the table, my choices were simple; I had none. For my appetizer, I ordered the only option available to me, guacamole dip with chips and a tortilla.

For my entrée, I convinced the waiter to let me substitute the one vegetarian dish on the regular menu for the pre-fixe, Grilled Vegetable & Goat Cheese Enchiladas topped with Salsa Ranchera.

I had the Guava & Cream Cheese Empanadas for dessert.

From the initial black bean dip to the three bites I managed of my goat cheese enchilada entrée (I was stuffed by this point), everything about the meal was great. The guacamole dip was good, but I dare say mine is better (I have yet to try any dip comparable); the guava empanadas were sweet but not overwhelmingly so; and my enchiladas made a nice lunch the following day.

Despite the fine food, I was slightly disappointed with the menu. While my dining companions were thrilled, I felt slighted at the lack of veggie options. Should I return, I would be forced to order the same Grilled Vegetable & Goat Cheese Enchiladas again. In addition, most Mexican dishes are served with rice and beans; not so much at Sueños. One person in our group asked for it on the side because he did not feel right eating Mexican food without it.

Besides the menu, my other complaint had to do with the ambience. With a name like Sueños, Dreams in English, I expected a slightly more Mexican vibe than what I felt. I know I am in a good Mexican restaurant when I am tempted to order in Spanish and drink Margaritas, despite my opposition to Tequila. I have been to several other Mexican eateries in the city where this has happened and I left wondering who swiped my passport.

With the exception of the lack of options for vegetarians and the Mexican-less vibe, I enjoyed Sueños and would recommend trying it at least once. I doubt I will be back because I don’t like ordering the same thing twice. If you like Pablo Picasso, be sure to check out the bathroom while you are there.


DAMAGE ~ $40
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment