Monday, March 9, 2009

The Bean

49 1/2 1st Ave (@ 3rd St)
When I asked NYLawStudent to recommend a good place for tea in the East Village, I was hesitant when he suggested The Bean. Under the impression The Bean was more coffee than it was tea, I envisioned overpriced Lipton tea bags and bright lights but agreed to meet there anyway.

Upon seeing the vast tea menu, I was intrigued and enthused. I ordered a medium Ruby Slipper (blood orange and pear) and two overpriced pastries; NYLawStudent stuck with a latte.

As a tea aficionado, nothing particular stood out about my tea except for the color, a pinkish red resulting from the blood orange. However, my pastries were a different story.

The first pastry was a triple chocolate mousse cheesecake. It was soft and sweet without going overboard on the chocolate (despite the name).

The second pastry consisted of a chocolate teacup filled with vanilla custard and topped with mixed berries. By the time I worked my way down to the teacup part, I was stuffed and only managed a few bites of chocolate. Overall, I was pleased with my selections, but my wallet was not.

My initial reaction to The Bean was correct; it is more coffee than tea. That said, the vast tea menu is nothing to scoff at, and the pastries were very good. The medium-size internet cafe was filled with students writing papers, discussing midterms, and checking email. If I were a law student or undergrad, I could see myself enjoying the studious atmosphere. I am neither, so the place was not exactly my cup of tea (no pun intended).

I doubt I will visit The Bean again, partially due to the fact it is a chain (there are a couple locations in the city) and partially due to the expensive pastries starting at $7.


DAMAGE ~ $16
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment