Wednesday, April 1, 2009

ChikaLicious

203 E 10th St (b/w 1st Ave & 2nd Ave)
3 words: CHEESECAKE-ON-ICE.

Just one of the desserts to expect at ChikaLicious. Although it might not look like much from the outside, the desserts emerging from this tiny eatery barely seating 20 are sure to blow any dessert fanatic’s mind.

Over the past several weeks, my sweet tooth has gotten out of control. By this, I mean finding myself in line for cupcakes in Chelsea despite being late to meetings or my face glued to the windows of chocolate shops in SoHo hours before they open. A week ago, I stepped out of a bar in Alphabet City and smelled chocolate. It was midnight; there was no chocolate to be had.

Imagine my delight when InterSportsWriter suggested we meet over dessert; not dinner, not drinks—just dessert. Wednesday evening, we set out to calm my cravings at where else but a dessert bar run by Chef Chika Tillman called ChikaLicious.

Each dessert is priced at a pre-fixe of $12, which includes Amuse Bouche (a small serving of sorbet intended to prepare tastebuds before the main dish), a Dessert Choice , and a finishing of Petit Fours (an assortment of tiny goodies such as coconut marshmallows and chocolate truffles).

Unable to choose just 1 or 2 selections, my dessert companion and I ordered the following 4:
Fromage Blanc Island "Cheese Cake."

Almond Cake with Toasted Almond Chantilly and Espresso Granita (shaved expresso ice).

Warm Chocolate Tart w/ Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream and Red Wine Sauce.

Sorbet w/ bite sized pieces of apple pie in Caramel Soup (exact name unknown).

We paired our desserts with glasses of Moscato d’Asti, a sparkling dessert wine that was sweet in taste and perfectly complimented our selections.

To describe each item would be completely unfair to my readers and the restaurant. You must try it for yourself. I will say my least favorite was the Almond Cake; I did not have a most favorite but felt partial to the tart for obvious reasons (see addiction to chocolate).

The menu changes weekly, with the exception of the tart and cheesecake, the two most popular items. If you're a cheesecake aficionado, put ChikaLicious on your list. Did I mention cheesecake on ice?

Part of the appeal of this East Village eatery is the experience. How many people can say they have been to a gourmet dessert bar and ordered a pre-fixe dessert? If the place feels pricey (like it did to me), I recommend ordering a pre-fixe dessert paired with a glass of wine for $19, then heading across the street to the sister restaurant Dessert Club ChikaLicious, which only serves cupcakes, cookies, and pudding.

A better idea is to go with a friend, order your individual desserts, eat yours quickly, then distract your companion long enough to inhale his/her dessert before running across the street and buying $2.50 S’more cupcakes for each of you. Trust me on this. Your friend will thank you, once the anger subsides.


DAMAGE ~75
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment