Sunday, April 5, 2009

Shi

47-20 Center Blvd, Long Island City

Saturday evening, a colleague recommended a sushi bar in Long Island City. On the edge of Long Island City overlooking the East River sits Shi, a spacious Asian Fusion eatery that tastes as good as it looks.

To get started, I had miso soup while my colleague had wonton. I also ordered veggie rolls with avocado, cucumber, and asparagus. My main dish was called Mapo Tofu, soft tofu in a spicy sauce. Dessert consisted of a chocolate cake topped with ice cream.


Everything was good, but the Mapo Tofu really stood out. The veggie rolls and miso soup were the standard you can find at any sushi bar. However, the mapo tofu was a first for me, and I was quite pleased with my selection.

When I think of tofu dishes, I imagine tofu paired with vegetables, noodles, rice, etc. Mapo tofu was simply tofu in sauce, yet it more than satisfied my arrogant tastebuds. It was so filling, I only managed a few bites before boxing up the rest.


The chocolate dessert was amazing. By the way, the chocolate dessert was amazing. Lastly, the chocolate dessert was amazing. Did I mention the amazing chocolate dessert? You get the picture.

I found the atmosphere lovely and roomy. I didn't feel like eavesdropping on my neighbor’s conversation, something which inevitably happens at far too many places in the city due to space limitations.

Many New Yorkers hate leaving the city (unless for vacation and then it’s all about Florida). However, I can assure you Shi in Long Island City is a safe bet. One stop from midtown off the 7 is not going to hurt.

I recommend checking out Shi, then going for a stroll along the Promenade, located behind the restaurant. Bring your camera and/or binoculars to take advantage of Manhattan’s spectacular views. When your heartbeat starts racing after it realizes you are no longer on the island, calm down, take deep breaths, and remind yourself how close you really are.


DAMAGE ~ 80
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment