Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mesa Grill

102 5th AvenueMeet Chef Bobby Flay’s New York installation, formerly known as Mesa Grill and located in Flatiron.

InterSportsWriter and I were browsing the area on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, somewhat on the hunt for cupcakes (although neither of us had officially declared that our purpose), when I realized we had just enough time for a late Brunch. I suggested Mesa Grill because I had my eye on the Southwest eatery since first walking past its multi-colored sign many months ago.

We were seated immediately. I skipped my standard coffee and brunch cocktail and went straight for the main course. We ordered the following:

“Scrambled Eggs ChilaQuiles,” roasted tomatillo sauce, white cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

“Ranch Style Eggs Tostada,” w/ crispy flour tortilla, ancho chile tomato sauce, white cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

Ancho chile tomato sauce is basically a chili sauce sans meat. Everything was great. Looking back, I might have preferred the food a bit spicier (or perhaps I should have asked for some Tabasco), but overall, the food was very good.

The restaurant itself was 2 stories and very spacious. Because I’m so used to overcrowded, cramped Village eateries, I truly appreciate a decent sized restaurant on the rare occasions I eat at one. The size and interior of Mesa Grill were absolutely perfect.

If you are craving Southwestern grub, this place is a must, at least for brunch. Be sure to try the grits; they are fantastic. I’m told this place is not so vegetarian friendly come nightfall, but I shall save that visit for another occasion.


DAMAGE ~ 30
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment