Thursday, February 19, 2009

S & S Cheesecake

222 W 238th St, Bronx

Say hello to the nation’s best cheesecake, at least according to Zagat’s. The pies emerging from S&S Cheesecake are packed full of the freshest, most natural ingredients for a taste unlike any other.

I trekked out to their ONE location in the Bronx, rang the bell, and bought 2 small cheesecakes: original and carrot. Sir Fancy Pants, 60sBumbleBee, and I shared the first slice of the original. Although I am not well versed in cheesecakerey, SFP and 60sBumbleBee are, and both died upon their first bite. No really; I had to revive them to help me finish the slice (which I did by giving them more bites). 60sBumbleBee did not want to carry on with her life because she knew she would never have another cheesecake as good as S&S, at least not until her next visit to New York.


Original

What makes S&S cheesecakes so good? Perhaps it is the fact they use only the freshest ingredients in their pies—no artificial anything. The cakes are dense and creamy with no funny aftertaste. Perhaps it is the crust; baked to perfection without being crispy, soggy, or flaky. Maybe it’s the fact they have not sold out like so many other places (see Junior’s (yes I said it. Have you been to Times Square??)). Every single S&S cheesecake comes out of the tiny windowless warehouse off 238th Street in the Bronx, as it has for over 50 years.


Carrot

As I write this review, I am eating one slice of the original and of the carrot. S&S Cheesecake is the real deal. It has set the bar so high in cheesecake land that I will never be able to eat another slice of cheesecake without thinking of S&S. In fact, I am not sure I will ever be able to eat another slice of cheesecake from anywhere other than this place.

S&S Cheesecake is open M-F 6am-3pm. If you can’t make those hours or are scared to trek out to the Bronx, the surrounding stores sell their cheesecakes plus several other stores and restaurants throughout New York City. They also ship to anywhere in the United States. Pies come in 6 varieties and start at $12 for the original New York Style when you buy it from the warehouse. Cheesecakes are certified kosher.


DAMAGE ~24
VERDICT: GO NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment