Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Flatiron Lounge

37 W 19th St

Flatiron Lounge is a speakeasy designed to be not so speakeasy, rather just easy. It has that exclusive relaxed vibe without being too exclusive. It is not well known enough to be a hot spot for tourists, but it is arguably one of the top three bars in Flatiron. If you disagree with my statement, please do tell in my comment box.

60sBumbleBee and I stopped by on a Saturday because we were in the area. She ordered a drink called the Cherry Royale (although I don’t recall what the ingredients were) and I ordered something off menu called the Jitterbug (substituted with gin and made with honey). Both of us were pleased with our drinks.

Cherry Royale

Several months ago, I would have given this a RUN! Now that I have been there a few times, I realize the atmosphere is just not there. I blame it on the location. The Flatiron District has one cool building, perhaps you’ve heard of it. Other than that, it’s a dead neighborhood. Walk around any night of the week; the streets are bare. You might even feel like you’re in midtown. Flatiron Lounge is primarily a space to be used for a couple cocktails following a long workday. Other than that, I would steer clear.

Pluses include the eclectic drink menu and a bartender that looks like Adam Brody. The bathroom has some pretty cool jazz art, and there is a downstairs near the entrance of the lounge, but I have not seen it in the three times I have been—the last two times it was closed off.

Although Flatiron Lounge is one of my favorite spots in the city above 14th, there is a serious disconnect in terms of what is happening in New York City once you cross that street, largely due to the young student populations of NYU, the New School, and Cooper Union, all located in East and West Village. I won’t be going back to Flatiron Lounge unless I am above 14th and can’t get into the latest speakeasy that just opened two weeks ago on 17th…


DAMAGE ~28
VERDICT: Go…but only for after work cocktails.

No comments:

Post a Comment