Friday, February 13, 2009

Little Branch

22 7th Ave S
Milk & Honey is one of the most popular bar establishments in New York City due to their unique drink concoctions, their highly skilled bartenders, and the satisfaction once you finally obtain entry. The only way to get into Milk & Honey is to call during the day and make reservations for the same night. There is one problem; the phone number is unlisted and nearly impossible to find. Add to this they change their number every few months. Even if you do manage to score the number, chances are it will be different by the time you call.

So I did what any other suave New Yorker would do. I visited its’ sister bar Little Branch and asked the hostess. Not only did she give me the wrong number, she claimed she had to research it first and to check back with her before I left. Had I not been so focused on obtaining that damn number, my experience at Little Branch might have been more relaxed and merry.

Several times, Sir Fancy Pants and I made plans, but for one reason or another (e.g. long lines in the rain, time constraints, etc.), they fell through.

We finally made it in around 8:30 on a Wednesday evening. Upon entering the front door, we walked down a tiny flight of stairs to the underground bar. The hostess took down my name and said it would be a 45 minute wait to get a table. Because we had dinner plans after, we left after one drink.

I went for the bartender’s choice and told him I would like a semi-sweet drink with gin and honey. He replied, “Say no more.” I was served a concoction called Bees’ Knees consisting of gin, lemon, and honey. It was delicious but definitely meant for sipping. Sir Fancy Pants had another bartender’s choice concoction with grapefruit juice, which he liked very much.

Little Branch, what a little place you are. The outside exterior is completely unassuming; I would never have known there was a bar down below had Sir Fancy Pants not pointed it out. The place is made to represent a speakeasy with live jazz on the weekends. Inside, the space is cozy with only 5 or 6 tables for seating plus standing room around the bar. Cocktails are $13 a pop, but the interesting concoctions make up for the steep price.

The bathroom was nice and clean with individual hand towels for drying your hands. The entire visit was pleasant, but I could not help feeling discomfort over the Milk & Honey number.


DAMAGE ~ 29 (CASH ONLY)
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment