Sunday, February 15, 2009

Extra Virgin

259 W 4th St

Saturday for brunch, Sir Fancy Pants, 60sBumbleBee, and I sat down in a West Village eatery called Extra Virgin. I picked the restaurant based on the location and several reviews I read on yelp.com claiming Extra Virgin as the best Brunch ever.

To get started, SFP and I ordered a Mimosa and a Bloody Mary respectively; 60sBumbleBee stuck with tea. For our main courses, SFP ordered baked eggs with a side of bacon; 60sBumbleBee ordered the omelet of the day, and I ordered the Virgin Frittata with goat cheese, tomato, arugula, and basil pesto.


The Virgin Frittata can best be described as a Greek style omelet. It was twice the size of a regular omelet and the texture reminded me of a quiche. I also ordered a side of Fries with Gorgonzola Fondue for the table.

I recently developed an addiction to blue cheese, and the fries with the gorgonzola dip were nothing short of amazing. Besides the Gorgonzola Fondue, nothing blew me away about Extra Virgin. My Bloody Mary was watery and weak; my Virgin Frittata was somewhat dry (I nearly asked for a side of Hollandaise sauce); and my café au lait was too watered down to be considered coffee. I was more excited about eating my meal for lunch the following day with my own olive oil and vinegar than I was while at Extra Virgin.

On the other hand, SFP and 60sBumbleBee loved their dishes. SFP was thrilled at the many strips of bacon that came on the side for only $5.00. Each plate ranged in price from $9-13, relatively cheap by West Village standards, and the portion sizes were quite big, almost to the point of overwhelming.

Although I was impressed by the Mediterranean influenced varied selection of Brunch dishes, the hype surrounding Extra Virgin combined with my unsatisfactory drinks and meal ruined it for me. I would go back for that blue cheese fondue…

As we were leaving around noon, I noticed there was a wait to get a table. I suppose the place is more popular than I originally thought.


DAMAGE ~84
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment