Sunday, February 22, 2009

Diablo Royale

189 W 10th St
Picture this: me walking through West Village craving a Bloody Mary and Sir Fancy Pants, a Mimosa. Add a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, a Mexican eatery called Diablo Royale, no line, and you have my brunch experience last weekend.

Given that Mexican is my favorite cuisine ever, I could not resist stopping in for a quick bite and dragged SFP with me. We sat at the bar, ordered drinks, and decided to share one brunch entrée of my choosing.

I ordered the Huevos Rancheros—scrambled eggs with ranchero sauce, black beans, and sliced avocado over a crispy tortilla. I also asked for a side of chips and salsa and SFP ordered a side of bacon. Everything was good, but not spectacular.

It’s hard to go wrong with such a staple dish as huevos rancheros. What did stand out about the meal was the drinks. You know you’ve had a good Bloody Mary when your lips are on fire and your throat burns, yet still you continue to drink the spicy beverage because it is that good.

This was not the case at Diablo Royale. The Bloody Mary was good but nothing worth going back for. However, the Mexican hot chocolate I had at the end of the meal was noteworthy, something definitely worth having again. It was thick and had a slight kick to it. The tortilla chips were also very good but on the salty side.

The spot is cute and relaxed, but there is better Mexican to be had in the area.


DAMAGE ~36
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment