Thursday, February 12, 2009

Centro Vinoteca

74 7th Ave S Do you want to know one reason I love New York City? Plans that fall through.

Sir Fancy Pants and I had no intention Wednesday evening to visit Centro Vinoteca. We made plans to check out a tapas place in West Village. Tapas place was closed due to construction, so we stumbled upon the Italian gem off 7th Avenue. Well, not so much stumbled…we both walked by the place numerous times. Finally, we stopped to check out the menu. Five minutes later we were seated drinking water.

The hostess initially sat us near the window, but the table behind us was too loud, so I asked to be moved. Surprise! They have an upstairs; we were reseated at a corner booth on the second floor. Surprise #2: Restaurant Week! I had no idea Centro Vinoteca was even on the list, but since Restaurant Week has been extended through the end of February, we lucked out.

The waitress started us off with a bread basket filled with focaccia and European crusty loaf. Sir Fancy Pants and I ordered the following from the Restaurant Week menu:

SFP:
Appetizer: trio of piccolini shrimp & chickpea fritter with lemon aioli & truffled deviled egg
Main: grilled rack of lamb w/ black mission figs
Dessert: sweet tarallucci w/ salty caramel
ME:
Appetizer: sunchoke soup w/ hazelnuts, chanterelle mushrooms & hazelnut oil
Main: kabocha squash ravioli w/ walnuts, brown butter & vin cotto
Dessert: chocolate cake filled w/ chocolate mousse coated with dark chocolate ganache
Perhaps it would be easier to start out with what I did not like about my meal... the soup was on the salty side and the ravioli dish portion size was small (there were maybe 5 or 6 raviolis).

Other than that, everything was fantastic! The focaccia bread from the bread basket was literally the best focaccia I have ever tried. The soup was delicious, and the squash ravioli ranks in the top five Italian dishes I’ve had in my life (and no, I have not been to Italy…yet). Sir Fancy Pants has and nearly passed out when he tried my dish; it was that amazing. The chocolate cake was good as well, although it was not quite as impressive as the focaccia bread or my previous two dishes.

I also had a bite of the deviled egg that came with SFP’s appetizer and ate nearly half his dessert, both very good.

I am so happy we ended up here. The food was great; the service was great; and I will never look at focaccia bread the same. The only downside was the pricey regular menu.

DAMAGE ~ 120
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment