Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Zenkichi

77 N. 6th St, B'lyn


It’s no secret that when dining out, I do extensive research on the restaurant and the menu. Before even walking in the door, I know exactly what I am going to order, what it will taste like, and how much it will cost.


As a result, InterSportsWriter has gotten into the habit of denying me my preview glory by refusing to disclose any details regarding the venue and cuisine of our outings.

Our latest excursion had me and CanseoTaris, a friend visiting from Texas, on the L train to Williamsburg. We exited the Bedford Avenue stop, where InterSportsWriter joined us. We were led to the end of the block at what appeared to be a shack. No sign, no hoards of people hanging about, just a wooden shack. Whatever was behind that wall better be good.

Arriving just in time for our dinner reservation at Zenkichi, a modern Japanese Brasserie, we followed the hostess through a maze of bamboo sticks to the second story and were seated at a semi-private dimly lit booth.

All three of us opted for the vegetarian six-course tasting menu, with CanseoTaris not wanting to feel like the odd one out in the presence of vegetarians.

The following is what graced my lips that evening in order:


Silken Tofu w/ Tomatoes
Spring Vegetable Tempura w/ Shiitake Mushrooms & Broccoli Rabe

Grilled Eggplant
Oven Roasted Japanese Mushrooms

Agedashi Goma Tofu w/ Scallops in light broth
Each of us ordered different desserts and rotated them around the table:

Chocolate Fondant w/ Raspberry Sauce


Black Sesame Ice Cream

Grapefruit Agar Gelee
Let me start by saying what stood out amongst the dishes: the Spring Vegetable Tempura and the Oven Roasted Mushrooms. Both were made to perfection and tasted superb.

What did not stand out was the eggplant (I am not a big fan in general), and the initial plate of silken tofu was a bit too silken for me (see texture of pudding). Also, the goma tofu in light broth was too watery for my liking.

As far as the desserts were concerned, the fondant was amazing; the ice cream was good; and the grapefruit gelee was gross (DISCLAIMER: I don't like grapefruit). InterSportsWriter, however, enjoyed it.

I was wrong about the modern Japanese Brassiere being good. What lay beyond that wooden wall was fantastic! For CaseoTaris, Zenkichi happened to be her first dinner in New York City. Needless to say, she was thoroughly impressed. I loved the layout of the space, despite the dim lighting and getting lost in the maze of bamboo sticks several times on my way back from the bathroom.

Meals are as much about the food as they are about the experience; this was one to remember. A Japanese eatery with a vegetarian tasting menu is practically unheard of. I’m not sure if I will be back, but I will definitely recommend this place to everyone I know. Be forewarned, they only do dinner Wednesday thru Sunday.

DAMAGE ~$48/pp tasting menu
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment