Sunday, May 3, 2009

The City Grill

269 Columbus Ave (b/w 72nd & 73rd)
Meh.

A word used to describe a recent visit to Upper West Side’s The City Grill. Scoping out the menu beforehand to ensure I had options, I agreed to meet my dining companion at the American eatery for dinner.

Side note: Menu investigation only works when I know where I'm eating in advance. Otherwise, expect a mild panic attack while I grapple with finding someone with phone internet.

It was through this initial research that I learned their fries were something to try. With a little help from the server, I ordered the artichoke and spinach cheese dip appetizer and a portabella mushroom sandwich with fries for my entree.

My companion had mushroom ravioli in a tomato cream sauce.

The fries lived up to their expectations. Everything else, however, was meh. Average. Bland. Blah. Normal. Not bad, not great, just average. I was not impressed by the overall quality.

The artichoke dip was decent but somewhat bland in taste. The starter bread basket was ok, although one of the rolls felt like I was tearing into rubber (are rolls supposed to be that hard?). I had a bite of the mushroom ravioli; it tasted undercooked. My companion had no qualms, so I’ll call it al dente.

We completed our evening with caffeine. I had an espresso macchiato; my companion, a regular cup of joe. Thank goodness the macchiato was fantastic. Next to dessert, I can’t think of a better way to complete a subpar meal but with a great cup of coffee. Unfortunately, the desserts (like the menu) looked unimpressive.

I only finished half my sandwich and took the rest home. Currently, it sits in my fridge enduring insults from my organic skim milk, feta cheese crumbles, and cage-free brown eggs labeling it “glorified diner fare.” Oh well. At least the prices were reasonable.


DAMAGE ~50
VERDICT: Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment