Wednesday, May 27, 2009

teany

90 Rivington St

It’s tea time at teany.

Despite my obsession with coffee and the jitters that result when I don’t get my fix, I’m actually a tea person. I wake up with tea every day and wind down with it nightly. Thus, a visit to teany on the Lower East Side not only makes sense, it is expected. I ventured here one afternoon following an eventful afternoon of watching people dance their way down Broadway during New York City’s annual Dance Parade.

The tiny vegan eatery opened by Moby and his ex-girlfriend Kelly Tisdale features 98 different kinds of tea and a decent selection of salads, soups, sandwiches, and breakfast items. Though crowded, I scored a table upon arrival.

I tried their “Hairy Crab Oolong” tea and a cup of lentil soup. Service was a bit slow and my tea was forgotten (I had to remind the server), but once everything arrived, it was very tasty. The tea was hot and flavorful with a distinctly peachy aroma; the soup was chunky and thick—the way soup should be.

I entered on an empty stomach. A pot of tea and a small cup of lentil soup left me full and satisfied. There is an interesting selection of vegan desserts, but my sweet tooth was not up for the challenge (rare but it happens). The place did feel a bit pricey (oolong tea starting @ $7.50), but all in all, teany is worth checking out.

There is no doubt I will be back. Hopefully the service will be better the second time around.


DAMAGE ~$15 (CASH ONLY)
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment