Monday, December 29, 2008

The Irish Rogue

356 W 44th St

After attempting to buy Broadway tickets near Times Square two hours before the box office opened, I decided the day was not to be lost yet. What better way to spend a Sunday morning waiting to get tickets than at Brunch? Although I was outside my comfort zone of the Village, Sir Fancy Pants and I made a go at Brunch anyway.

The first place we checked out was Mercury Bar. We were in and out in three minutes. Although the place was empty, we were informed by the waitress they do not serve mimosas until noon. Something about being on a residential block. It was 11am. I hold mimosas in rank with my coffee for Brunch; I cannot have one without the other. No way were we going to stay at a place advertising $15 Brunch specials, including three complimentary drinks, without the ability to order the three drinks for another hour.

So we walked across the street to Marseille. Same story, different tune. This was unfortunate because I was looking forward to eating there; I will make an effort to come back one day after noon.

Finally, we went around the block to The Irish Rogue. With Brunch specials starting at $11.95 plus two complimentary drinks, I decided it would be our best option. The place was empty save a couple guys at the bar. We were seated immediately and both sat on the same side of the booth to watch the numerous flat screen television screens littered around the room. There was a European soccer game showing, which impressed Sir Fancy Pants because he had just come from viewing an earlier game of Liverpool v. Newcastle. He was more than happy to keep watching the sport.

I ordered a mimosa, a café au lait, Eggs Florentine, and a Hot Chocolate with Butterscotch (a specialty drink they serve during winter). The Eggs Florentine was not on the menu, but Eggs Benedict was, so I got them to substitute the bacon for spinach; the expresso machine was broken, so they brought me a regular coffee instead; and they were out of marshmallows, which should have come with the Butterscotch Hot Chocolate. Sir Fancy Pants had three mimosas (he got my extra that came with the meal) and steak and eggs. He said his steak was not as rare as he would have liked but cleaned his plate nonetheless. Our meals were served with potatoes shaped as chips, of which I only managed to get through about 1/3 of mine.

That being said, I enjoyed our meal. The Eggs Florentine were delish, and the Butterscotch Hot Chocolate was a delight to my taste buds and stomach, which normally cannot handle anything that sweet mixed with alcohol. Although I do not see myself coming back because I am rarely in that area before noon, I appreciated their prices and them serving alcohol when the next block refused.


DAMAGE~$38 before tip (2 meals + 1 coffee + 1 butterscotch hot chocolate)
VERDICT: Go if in the area before noon and want liquor

No comments:

Post a Comment