Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Great Jones Café

54 Great Jones Street (b/w Bowery and Lafayette)

Sunday Brunch was had at Great Jones Café located in NoHo. Sir Fancy Pants requested someplace reasonably cheap, so I set to work and found a tiny café with supposedly the top Bloody Mary’s in the city. Given that many restaurants in New York claim they have the “best” of something (pizza, mimosas, hot chocolate), I decided it was worth investigating.

We were seated a couple minutes after we arrived. The small café was a couple people short of capacity in a space that seats maybe 20. This may have been due to the sub zero, frigid weather outside. I ordered the Huevos Rancheros [scrambled eggs on corn tortilla with ranchero sauce, sour cream, and cheese] with a Mimosa and a Café au Lait. The waitress looked at me like I was crazy, so I settled for the house coffee, which was included with my meal. Every meal on the colorful one page menu came with choice of cornbread or biscuit and homefries or grits. I got the biscuit and homefries.

Sir Fancy Pants ordered the Farmer’s Market breakfast, basically an omelet, along with the biscuit and homefries. He also ordered the Cajun Mary, recommended to us by the waitress over the Bloody Mary. The Cajun Mary was delicious. I highly recommend it to anyone who goes here; much like a Bloody Mary but with a spicier, more flavorful kick. The gravy had sausage in it, which was a bummer because I am a sucker for good white or brown gravy, a rarity in New York. Otherwise, I would have liked to try it…

The atmosphere was cozy and the crowd looked to be mostly out of towners visiting their New Yorker son/ daughter/ friend. I felt safe and comfortable inside the cozy space, but the place was pricier than expected, as the menu has no pricing.

Cajun Marys are the stuff that great Brunches dream about. The rest of the meal can be had or lost. My Mimosa was good, but not great. I enjoyed my Huevos Rancheros, not surprising given that Mexican Food is my favorite food genre. The home fried potatoes were good but nothing I could not whip up on my own; the biscuits were rock hard. I peeled away the salvageable insides. Mr. Fancy Pants enjoyed his meal as well, but once again, there was nothing special to it. The only reason to go back would be for the Cajun Marys.

DAMAGE ~$55
VERDICT: PASS

No comments:

Post a Comment