Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sarabeth's

423 Amsterdam Ave (b/w 80th St & 81st St)

I would bet the average New Yorker dines out significantly more often than most people in the rest of the country. Being no exception, if I were to blog every last place visited, I would have little time to do much else.

Whether or not I review a restaurant depends largely on the food and the service. Sometimes I write to warn others; sometimes I write to urge others. The Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at Sarabeth’s on the Upper West Side fall into the urge category.

InterSportsWriter and I made plans for Brunch one Sunday morning and nearly abandoned our idea at the sight of the large crowd waiting for a table to open up inside. I insisted we check the wait time anyway, and as fate would have it, they had a table for 2 available. Seconds later, we were seated ordering beverages.

My Brunch companion had been to Sarabeth’s many times and, knowing my appreciation for foods of a lemony sort, urged me to try the Lemon and Ricotta Pancakes w/ Fresh Berries. ISW also said the Spinach & Goat Cheese Omelet was worth trying, so we ordered that as well.

Looking back, my taste buds shake in anticipation at the thought of those pancakes. I'm not a pancake person, yet Sarabeth’s has caused me to reevaluate my feelings about flat cakes. They were the best I ever had in my life and easily fall into the top 5 things I have eaten this year. The omelet was the perfect fluffy balance of goat cheese to egg and spinach.

I was highly impressed with the meal and the service. There are several other Sarabeth's around the city, including one on the Upper East Side and one in Chelsea Market. There is no doubt I will be back, the question is how soon.


DAMAGE ~$50
VERDICT: GO NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Are you on holiday? Or overloaded from the Time Out Brunch special!? More updates please!

    ReplyDelete