Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mole

205 Allen St

Craving Mexican food one Sunday night, a friend suggested dinner at Vamos!, a Mexican eatery in Stuyvesant Town. Unfortunately, by the time we arrived at the late afternoon/early evening hour of 10p.m., the restaurant had closed; my cravings had not. So I interjected with a tiny eatery I spotted off the Lower East Side called Mole.

As soon as we arrived, we started off with tableside guacamole and “Crepas con Huitlacoche,” 2 homemade crepes with black corn mushroom in creamy poblano sauce.

For the main course, I ordered the “Chiles Rellenos,” 2 fire roasted poblano peppers stuffed with queso fresco and served in fire roasted tomato sauce.

I blocked out what my dining companion had because it contained meat.

The mushroom crepes appetizer was by far the tastiest plate. I was impressed, but then again, how often does an appetizer trump the main course? Is that even allowed? The guacamole dip was not bad, although mine is better.

I found the main dish slightly overkill—my peppers were literally swimming in tomato sauce. Maybe I ordered soup. It’s been a few weeks since I visited.

We also had a side of nopales asadas, or grilled cactus, which turned out to be the most disappointing item of the evening; dry and bland. We barely managed a couple bites between us, but only out of obligation to our wallets rather than our tongues.

What I remember most about the evening was biting into my poblano peppers to find a toothpick. The server explained the toothpick was inserted to hold the peppers in place during the preparation of the dish. Unfortunately, it was too late; my taste buds felt jaded and my stomach remained uneasy throughout the remainder of the meal.

Looking back, I’ve had dishes where toothpicks are added to hold everything together, but this particular one caught me off guard. I apologized to the server for assuming the worst, but it was still hard to convince myself the toothpick was intentional and necessary.

Although the service was good, I can’t say I’ll be back. The menu was not impressive enough to warrant a return; and the complimentary salsa was weak, somewhat of a deal breaker in the land of Mexican restaurants.


DAMAGE ~$80 (CASH ONLY)
VERDICT: Go

No comments:

Post a Comment