Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ouest

2315 Broadway (b/w 83rd St & 84th St)

Ouest (pronounced West) on the Upper West Side is a 2 story French eatery catering to those who appreciate the finer things in life—namely great extra virgin olive oil and more extra virgin olive oil.

A number of various cuisines were discussed for dinner one Saturday evening, including Italian (proposed by InterSportsWriter) and Mexican (proposed by myself). Ouest was chosen due to its relative proximity (less than 10 blocks away) and a particular food item to be discussed shortly. Immediately after being seated, we were given a bread basket served with a special almond paste mixed with olive oil.

I ordered the Earl Grey Martini to drink, which is essentially grey tea infused with gin. I’m a huge tea person. With gin being my liquor of choice, I thought my drink amazing. It had a refreshingly light taste and crisp feel.

As a starter, my dining companion raved about the Truffled Omelet Soufflé with Mousseline Sauce. We ordered 2.

For the main course, we were crippled in vegetarian entrée choices (there were none). Thus, we opted for dinner size portions of the following appetizers:

Goat Cheese Ravioli w/ Tomato, Pancetta and Basil

Chickpea Pancakes w/ Green Beans

The key ingredient at Ouest is extra virgin olive oil; I nearly asked for a glass of it. From the initial almond paste served with the bread basket to the omelet soufflé, my taste buds remained on cloud 9 throughout the evening.

The omelet was light, fluffy, and fantastic. It falls into the top 3 things I have tried this year and might just be one of the best things I’ve had in my entire life. Like certain bars that have a 2 drink minimum, I would suggest Ouest have a 1 plate minimum and that plate be the omelet soufflé. It was this particular dish InterSportsWriter used as leverage to convince me of Ouest in the first place.

The goat cheese ravioli and the chickpea pancakes were quite good, but as stated before, the soufflé and the bread basket almond paste trumped the meal.

My only complaint was the utter disregard for vegetarians, at least according to the dinner menu entrée list.


DAMAGE ~ $120
VERDICT: GO NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment